[mythtv-users] [mythtv] tuner troubleshooting

Jason Hiller jasonchiller at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 12 01:24:44 UTC 2013

On 11/07/13 01:43, Jason Hiller wrote:

> On 08/07/13 10:05, John Pilkington wrote:
>  > On 08/07/13 02:12, Jason Hiller wrote:
>  >>
>  >> On 7/7/2013 3:46 PM, Jason Hiller wrote:
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Hi Jason,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > On 7/6/2013 8:07 PM, Jason Hiller wrote:
>  >>  >  > I am having trouble with mythtv recognizing my Hauppauge HVR-1600
>  >> card.  Myth setup fails to probe my card but everything I have found in
>  >> my system logs indicates the OS sees the card and it is functioning.  I
>  >> opened a ticket for this but thought I would try to help it along by
>  >> doing some troubleshooting.
>  >
>  > I wasn't able to identify your ticket, but the symptoms sounded
>  > familiar.  In fact I didn't have this problem before kernel 3.4.2-1;
>  > 3.3.7-1 and earlier were fine.  I'm now running 3.9.8-100.fc17.x86_64
>  > and a quick check yesterday looked hopeful but not entirely convincing.
>  >  I'll try again when the schedule is clear.
>  >
>  > http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11058
>  >
>  > You might try this workaround:
>  >
>  > http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10830#comment:13
>
> I've just done a partial mythtvsetup again, under 3.9.8-100.fc17.x86_64,
> and the tuner card recognition, for both PCI and USB DVB-T devices,
> worked without the femon workaround.  But it took several tens of
> seconds to do so, with nothing visible happening - and, as recently
> reported elsewhere, the tuner delay setting seems to be stuck at zero.

<snip>

> MythTV Version : 0.26.0-8.fc17 (v0.26.0-149-g5f45c0b) from rpmfusion
>
>  >
>  > John P
>
> John, Thanks for the information.  Do you have any tips/instructions for
> upgrading the kernel?  After some searches I was going to follow the
> instructions from this post:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/119080/how-to-update-kernel-to-the-latest-mainline-version-without-any-distro-upgrade.
>   Do they look reasonable?

I can't comment on that.  Did you try the femon workaround?  It's only
needed while mythtvsetup is trying to identify the card.  And it may
only be relevant if the IOCTL error is reported.  Otherwise your problem
may be something else.

My test was aimed at seeing if the fix had been applied, and would work,
in the new kernel.  I don't know how it might be applied in your distro.

John

John, I have not seen the IOCTL error but I am trying to get the analog side of my tuner card working.  Not sure if that makes a difference.  Even though I am not using it, I tried running the femon command and configuring the DVB side of the tuner and I still get an "Unknown error" in myth setup.  That is the same thing I see without the femon command running.

Anyway, I haven't found any other solutions for my problem so that is why I was considering giving the kernel upgrade a shot.  I'd rather not but I haven't found any other options.  If the install totally breaks after the upgrade I guess I'll have to wipe the entire OS and start over.