[mythtv-users] Full screen

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jul 1 20:47:48 UTC 2013

On 01/07/13 17:27, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org
> <mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:24:24PM -0400, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>      > Greetings Mythizens, can anyone tell me how to utilize the full
>     display
>      > area of my screen? The Ubuntu information stripe on the very top
>     is always
>      > shown. I've gone into the front end screen wizard, but I can't
>     adjust the
>      > initial (top left) corner high enough to cover that stripe. I'm using
>      > plasma display and would like to avoid "burn in" up there. I'm
>     running
>      > mythtv 0.25 front and back end in a Ubuntu 12.04 desktop environment.
>
>          Ditch the default desktop environment. Run one of the more
>     minimalist
>     window managers like openbox. Also shove pulse audio down a deep
>     dark hole.
>

> The depths to which you learned mythizens can discuss an issue never
> ceases to amaze me. However I still have the that annoying black stripe
> at the  top of the display. In my man cave I have a PC running Ubuntu
> 12.04/64 bit with a 42" plasma monitor/TV. I lopen mythtv from the
> launcher when I'm not doing other computing. I can display mythtv
> recordings on vlc without the black stripe, but its awkward to find a
> particular recording among the many in the file, and I forfeit the
> commercial skip feature. I'm looking for a simple way to make the stripe
> go away when I watch recordings, like the way the launcher hides when
> not being used. Does Legacy full screen support not cooperate with a 64
> bit OS? CompizConfig sounded like the kind of fix I was looking for. Is
> there any idea why that didn't work? Or any other similarly simple
> solution out there?
>
> Daryl

As I said before, I'm running 0.26-fixes in Fedora. I no longer have a
0.25 box.  But have you investigated Frontend setup > Appearance?  Mine
has real numbers to define the geometry, and the option to show, or not,
a window frame.  Or try mythfrontend --help, which shows options that
can override your normal settings.  AIUI, if you start mythfrontend from
a command line in a screen running under a window manager Raymond's
objection won't apply.

John P