[mythtv-users] possible alternative to HDhomerun? TBS MOI

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:36:04 UTC 2013

On 24 January 2013 09:21, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just had an email from TBS, wanting me to pre-order their new
>>> device: http://www.buydvb.net/moi-dvbs2-streaming-box_p88.html
>>>
>>> Seems quite interesting - supports XBMC and VLC, so I presume mythtv
>>> would be able to use it much like the HDHomeRun box that a number of people
>>> use.
>>> this certainly has my interest as an alternative to an internal PCIe
>>> card, as it also includes a CI slot, so would be able to get FTV channels
>>> aswell as FTA (i use freesat)
>>>

>> A DVB-S streaming box a la HDHR would certainly be a welcome addition to
>> the mythtv lineup!
>>

> 1. I guess it runs linux?
>
> 2. I guess you don't actually _need_ mythtbackend then?
>

> Hold on. closer inspection revels it has tvheadend in it already -

seems to be a yes to both, but i'm guessing if it supports xbmc and vlc,
then it should be usable by mythtv aswell via IP (as per HDHomeRun)?
obviously without the box being released and/or someone having more details
then i'm just guessing. I have little experience with IP-tuners or whats
needed to get it working with a client device.
seems to be quiet affordable vs TBS's PCIe based cards, but imo IP based
tuners do seem more versatile so i'll be keeping and eye on this..

'tvheadend' term is new for me - what does that technically mean; it'll
work out-of-the-box with mythtv?