[mythtv-users] Storage group question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 14 15:44:44 UTC 2013

On 01/14/2013 10:15 AM, Paul Stillwell wrote:
> A related question: Can the same directory be mapped into multiple Storage groups? For example, if I have 3 directories for recordings like this:
>
> /srv/mythtv/a/recordings
> /srv/mythtv/b/recordings
> /srv/mythtv/c/recordings
>
> Mapped to the following Storage Groups like this:
>
> Default: /srv/mythtv/a/recordings, /srv/mythtv/b/recordings
> Sports: /srv/mythtv/c/recordings, /srv/mythtv/a/recordings
>
> Will that be ok? I'm trying to come up with a scheme such that the small space I have on /srv/mythtv/c/recordings that I want to use when I record sports will be safe if I accidentally fill that drive up and some other sports show is going to record.

Yes. Directories can appear in any or all Storage Groups.

Note, also, that is the sports shows are really important to you, you
can simply disable auto-expiration for those recordings.  Changing the
recording rule (under Storage Options) to disallow auto-expire will
ensure that no future recordings from that rule will be allowed to
expire (unless you manually change one or more to allow it).  Changing
existing recordings simply requires selecting them (i.e. if they're all
in the Sports /recording/ group--as opposed to a Storage Group--go to
Watch Recordings and use MENU|Change View Filter|Sports, select Sports
in the left-hand column, then MENU|Add this Group to Playlist), then (if
using a playlist to change multiple, MENU|Playlist Options, otherwise
just MENU followed by) Storage Options|Disable Auto Expire.

Disabling auto-expire for "important shows" is not a problem.  Disabling
auto-expire for everything is a big problem--or even "everything" on a
single file system.  So just make sure you have some shows on a file
system that allow expiration--enough to give a sufficient buffer for you
to notice that you're out of space and move things around or add more
space--with Deleted recordings (that could be expired) or auto-expirable
recordings.

Also, you may want to consider doing things a bit differently.  Since
(at least from MythTV's perspective) physical location is irrelevant for
recordings, rather than trying to group all of your Sports recordings
into a specific set of directories, you may want to "migrate" some of
the sports recordings to a not-used-for-writing Storage Group once
they've been recorded to (any) Storage Group directory.  The idea is to
create a Storage Group, such as "Archive" or "Protected" or "Read Only"
or whatever that has directories that do not exist in any other Storage
Group, and never specify the "Archive" Storage Group in any recording
rules.  The end result is that MythTV would never actually write to
those directories (and, therefore, would never expire anything from
those directories), but would still find shows there for playback.  So,
perhaps you just want to put /srv/mythtv/c/recordings into an Archive
Storage Group and "manually" move recordings there (manually meaning at
the command line using mv or whatever, or you could even use a User Job
to do so, and enable that User Job on your Sports recording rules, so
it's done for you when a recording completes).

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/535888#535888 for
details.

Mike