[mythtv-users] All TV plays back as stereo and not surround over HDMI

Brendon Costa brendon.j.costa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 00:01:48 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a Myth setup using a combined frontend/backend setup using
mythbuntu 12.04.1 (running mythtv 0.25 I think)

I have had it setup for maybe 6 months now using stereo + video over HDMI
to my receiver. I recently however setup surround speakers for 5.1 and am
trying to get surround to work.

I have read all sorts of instructions about this and it is a confusing mess
of what does/doesn't work with conflicting instructions in all sorts of
places. I am able to get surround channels working in ALSA using the
speaker-test:
speaker-test -Dhdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -c6

when i use the frontend setup, I can set to 5.1 and the speaker tests work
(well in both the speaker-test and frontend test the channel mapping is
incorrect, but I think I can fix that later). The issue is that all
recorded TV seems to always playback in stereo only.

I read a few instructions, some say use the 5.1 config in the the mythtv
frontend setup and other instructions say set to stereo and it will do
passthrough of the DTS etc to the reciever. Neither gave me surround
(unless I specified to up-convert the stereo to 5.1, which is not what I
want). If i have the option I would like to enable passthrough.

Can anyone help with this problem?

I wonder if the recordings are only recording stereo somehow?

I can provide any debug information fairly easily that is requested.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Brendon.