[mythtv-users] Android release of XBMC plays MythTV recordings [probably a bit OT]

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 11:49:44 UTC 2013

There has been some discussion recently on various methods of playing
back MythTV recordings on Android devices. An example is the excellent
Mobilemyth recently released by Jon Heizer. As part of those
discussions there has also been mention of how the Android video
players don't provide as good support for seeking fowards/backwards as
you get in Mythfrontend.

FYI, XBMC have now released a beta version for Android. This is a full
featured version of XBMC and can therefore use myth:// as a video
source to play back MythTV recordings. I had a play with it tonight
and just wanted to let people know a couple of things about it:

1) It seems a bit buggy and I got a few crashes while playing
recordings. It is beta, after all, so that's to be expected.

2) It's possible to seek forwards/backwards using a keyboard if you
have one attached to your Android device. I have an Asus Transformer
TF300T which has a detachable keyboard. As in Mythfrontend you can do
big skips or small skips using the arrow keys. By default these skip
30 seconds or 10 minutes, but that's configurable by editing a file
called advancedsettings.xml.

(Please note this is in no way meant to detract from the fantastic
work being done by a lot of people in the Android/MythTV space. I'm
just putting it out there so people know their options).