[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.26 records live TV without being told to do so

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 11 18:31:46 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 12:37 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> You're better off with
>>> the current system and telling it to only keep live tv for 1 day.
>> Keep it for 1 day or 10 billion...  The difference is irrelevant.  (Granted,
>> we only allow you to specify a value between 1 and 7 days, so you're
>> unlikely to keep it 10 billion days.)
> I was just talking for his sanity. If it absolutely nags at him to
> have his disk "full" then 1 day will help with that.
>
> And there certainly are reasons why it's useful not to have myth fill
> up drives. For instance, when I want to copy over a 50GB bluray rip to
> my mythbox, and the samba transfer happens at a faster rate than myth
> cleans up with the slow-delete option. My solution to that is to just
> bump up the amount of free space myth leaves. That solves the problem,
> at the expense of myth not being able to use that extra space if it
> REALLY needs it. I don't let that worry me too much, because 50GB
> isn't much on a 3TB drive.
>
> It's also handy to get rid of live TV as fast as possible for the sake
> of knowing how much disk is free. When you've got a ton of live tv
> sitting around, it's hard to know just how much space really is left
> on your drive. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just look at the
> size of the LiveTV storage group folder, but unfortunately that
> contains not just liveTV, but actual recordings too*** (both scheduled
> recordings where it uses an in-use tuner, and LiveTV where you decide
> to record it). You can pull that info from the web interface, but it's
> not so handy for accessing from monitoring/alert scripts.

The best way to find out how much storage is used by Live TV (and
Deleted Recordings) is to use the backend status page, which reports
something like:

  * Total Disk Space:
      o Total Space: 2,871,327 MB
      o Space Used: 2,622,210 MB
      o Space Free: 249,117 MB
      o Space Available After Auto-expire: 2,738,828 MB
          + Space Used by LiveTV: 0 MB
          + Space Used by Deleted Recordings: 1,175,834 MB
          + Space Used by Auto-expirable Recordings: 1,313,877 MB

Eventually I'll put in the patch that adds the same information to the
frontend status screen.

If you want to clean up the Live TV at any time, go to Watch Recordings,
select Live TV in the left column (i.e. using MENU|Change Group View to
include Live TV or MENU|Change Group Filter to show only Live TV), then
MENU|Add this group to playlist, MENU|Playlist options|Delete.  You can
do the same with Deleted shows to remove them from disk.

Mike