[mythtv-users] Little qnap for myth recordings

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:56:14 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Any gotchas with using a small qnap (ts-212 or equivalent non qnap) for
> myth recordings?
>
> Any issues for MySQL storage is is that ask for trouble?
>
> I want to separate my storage from my host so that I can replace parts
> easily (presently it is one host doing everything).
>
> Ta.
>
> Greg

Greg,

I have a QNAP ts-412 and use it to store all my Movies, Music and Pictures
on it.  It is mounted over nfs to my master backend and I usually simlink
the high-level directories into the storage groups for the respective media
types.

I would not recommend using it to store your recordings as it tends to go
to sleep pretty regularly when nothing is occurring (i.e. streaming a
movie).  It periodically wakes up.  I think in order to use it for
recordings, you would almost want something to access it a minute or so
prior to a recording started so it can wake up the drives.

Dan

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>