[mythtv-users] Backend OS - opinions on Archlinux

Jameson imntreal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:36:39 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
> 2013/1/6 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>:
>> I really hate this 2 yearly cycle of updating ubuntu distros, even on LTS. I
>> thought maybe a rolling release like Arch would alleviate me from having to
>> do that.

I'm running Arch on my home server for just this reason.  I probably
wouldn't recommend it for a commercial production environment where
applications may require specific patch levels for support, but at
home I really like it.

> The issue with rolling release distributions on servers are that every
> application on the server suddenly can receive a major update which
> requires your attention. So when you perform a regular system update,
> which you expect to spend 5 minutes on, you'll end up spending 3
> hours, since you need to update some configuration file to be
> compatible with the new major release of some application which was
> updated. You can choose to avoid updating some of your applications,
> but it will only be a matter of time until other packages on the
> system becomes incompatible with your hold-back packages, and hence
> forcing you to update the packages anyway.

If updating config files for package updates is chewing up that much
of your time, you should check out pacdiff.  It along with
systemd-delta has saved me plenty of time when running updates in
Arch.

=-Jameson