[mythtv-users] Backend OS - opinions on Archlinux

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Jan 8 00:04:32 UTC 2013

Den 07/01/2013 22.36 skrev "Jameson" <imntreal at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
> > The issue with rolling release distributions on servers are that every
> > application on the server suddenly can receive a major update which
> > requires your attention. So when you perform a regular system update,
> > which you expect to spend 5 minutes on, you'll end up spending 3
> > hours, since you need to update some configuration file to be
> > compatible with the new major release of some application which was
> > updated. You can choose to avoid updating some of your applications,
> > but it will only be a matter of time until other packages on the
> > system becomes incompatible with your hold-back packages, and hence
> > forcing you to update the packages anyway.
>
> If updating config files for package updates is chewing up that much
> of your time, you should check out pacdiff.  It along with
> systemd-delta has saved me plenty of time when running updates in
> Arch.

That sentence contained some more examples, but I decided to strip it down
before posting the message. Some other real-life examples, which definitely
takes longer than doing a diff between two text files and reading the
manual:
Updates to the Arch Linux software RAID hook-system breaks assembly of
software RAID and hence - in my case - the ability to boot. When the server
is a headless server in a cupboard, that will be a PITA.
Same thing applies when the userspace qemu-kvm fork was suddently replaced
with the upstream qemu executable, just because some initial
Den 07/01/2013 22.36 skrev "Jameson" <imntreal at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
> > 2013/1/6 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>:
> >> I really hate this 2 yearly cycle of updating ubuntu distros, even on
LTS. I