[mythtv-users] Using MythTV 'offline'?

PlainFaceBoy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 23:06:31 UTC 2013

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:21:09 +0000
> From: Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Using MythTV 'offline'?

>>> It's your system's network management code "shutting down" networking
>>> when
>>> your router is gone. You'll have to fix it there. Mike
>>
>> Why not set a static IP for the box, and point to that?
>>

>> Could it be that MySQL is either not listening on 127.0.0.1 and/or MySQL
>> permissions are rejecting logins from 127.0.0.1, but accepting from
>> 192.168.x.x?
>>
>> To check what address the MySQL daemon is listening on (from Bash): bash$
>> sudo netstat -npl | grep 3306
>>
>> To check what address the mythtv MySQL user is allowed to connect to
>> MySQL on
>> (from MySQL prompt):
>>
>> Post the results of the above commands here, if you're unsure.
>

>> I've checked the last suggestion below and it is listening on 127.0.0.1.
>> The
>> other two possible solutions (static IP and fixing system network) sound
>> reasonable, but I don't know how to do either! My ISP dynamically assigns
>> my
>> IP each time I connect, so not sure how I would make a static IP - or
>> would
>> it be be one of the 192.168.0's....etc? Thanks.
>>

> (some whacky failed mail quoting above attempting to fix top posting...)
>
> The IP address your ISP gives you should have nothing to do with the IP
> addresses /inside/ your own network. The two are separated by a
> router/firewall.
> You *do* have a router/firewall? Inside your home network the hosts are
> assigned
> whatever IP addresses you choose, usually within the 192.168.x.x ranges.
>
> To change from dynamic allocation to fixed you will need to go to "Network
> Settings" or whatever your distribution calls it. Change the setting from
> "Automatic" to "Manual" and fill in the fields as required. As you only
> have one
> box almost any value will do: 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of
> 255.255.255.0
> will give you a valid address. Once you restart go to mythtv-setup and put
> that
> same address in both the backend address and the master server address.
>
> Once you have all three pointing to the same place you might get
> somewhere. Oh.
> Then you have to fix mysql...
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

yes - I have a router! I've got other windows machines on network as well -
they normally get 192.168.0.2/3/4 etc in whatever order they are switched
on. There's a LAN IP set up in my router set up which looks like I can
reserve addresses for each device, so could do this for my myth box, and
even for my windows machines......but would this mean I could us mythtv
without the router switched on (which is what I mean by 'offline')?
....and then you say I'd have to fix mysql as well??
Cheers.