[mythtv-users] Using MythTV 'offline'?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Jan 5 15:18:42 UTC 2013

On 04/01/13 23:06, PlainFaceBoy wrote:
>> From: Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
>>
>> The IP address your ISP gives you should have nothing to do with the IP
>> addresses /inside/ your own network. The two are separated by a router/firewall.
>> You *do* have a router/firewall? Inside your home network the hosts are assigned
>> whatever IP addresses you choose, usually within the 192.168.x.x ranges.
>>
>> To change from dynamic allocation to fixed you will need to go to "Network
>> Settings" or whatever your distribution calls it. Change the setting from
>> "Automatic" to "Manual" and fill in the fields as required. As you only have one
>> box almost any value will do: 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
>> will give you a valid address. Once you restart go to mythtv-setup and put that
>> same address in both the backend address and the master server address.
>>
>> Once you have all three pointing to the same place you might get somewhere. Oh.
>> Then you have to fix mysql...
>>
> yes - I have a router! I've got other windows machines on network as well - they
> normally get 192.168.0.2/3/4 etc in whatever order they are switched on. There's
> a LAN IP set up in my router set up which looks like I can reserve addresses for
> each device, so could do this for my myth box, and even for my windows
> machines......but would this mean I could us mythtv without the router switched
> on (which is what I mean by 'offline')?
> ....and then you say I'd have to fix mysql as well??

Yes to both! As long as you have a real address (ie not 127.0.0.1) then you will
be able to operate your mythbox without reference to any other network equipment
- with the proviso that the address you choose is *defined on the box itself*.

You /could/ do a static allocation on your router but that would mean that you
would need the router on all the time.

(I would point out here that if you are running mythfilldatabase to get your
listings, you'll need a regular internet connection anyway, and by 'regular' I
mean 24/7.)

The mysql thing is because you've already set your system up and mysql probably
has references to 127.0.0.1 - and quite possibly some other random things, like
the hostname, the fully-qualified-domain-name and other accidental stuff,
possibly with strange password entries to boot.

You'll have to query your database and find out what values have been stored to
allow you (I mean the mythtv programs) to access the database and where those
values are stored in the filesystem: I'm talking about mysql.txt, config.xml and
various apache config files if you intend to use mythweb.

That information is going to vary according to your distribution and the exact
way you set your system up, so will be different for everybody, which is why I'm
carefully not going into any extra detail here. There's plenty of info here and
on the wiki to allow you to fix this.

--

Mike Perkins