[mythtv-users] State of the PVR150/250 in 0.26?

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 01:48:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Ian Jackson <prosonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using mythtv on and off for better part of the decade. I've gone
> through a number of hardware upgrades. For the last couple years, I've been
> running the hvr1250 as my primary tuner card. I've kept a the pvr150 in the
> machine as backup. However, with a recent upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04, I've seen
> numerous lockups, which go away as soon as I disable (not uninstall) the
> pvr150. I've also tried the pvr250 to the same results. Are these cards now
> considered legacy? I've considered upgrading to the hvr2250. Is now the time
> to retire the tuners?
>
> Also as part of the shift to digital, my cable provider (Shaw) has recently
> removed cable-fm. Is anybody still working on an FM Radio plugin? I know the
> answer is "use online streams", but the radio station I listen to
> (Sonic102.9 Edmonton) has hidden their stream behind a flash player that I
> haven't been able to figure out how to extract the raw feed from.
>
> Finally, I'm also a siriusxm subscriber. It seems the last upgrade of their
> website broke almost every softplayer out there. Has anybody figure a
> workaround at all? The best I can do is use the app on my phone.
>

> Ian
>
> ______

The PVR-150/250/500s work great in 0.26.... with one major exception: Live TV.

I have a PVR-250 and PVR-500 that I still use to record the occasional
show on analog cable.  It works basically 100% of the time for
recordings.

However, in 0.26, they hang mythfrontend anytime you try and watch
Live TV.  This has been seen by many users.  From what I can tell,
it's probably any of these IVTV/V4L2 based analog tuners... so
upgrading to a newer hauppauge hybrid analog/digital tuner probably
would suffer the same issues.  If Live TV tries to leverage my analog
tuners - it'll fail - every time.

You have a few options:
1) Don't watch Live TV - or -
2) Disable your analog tuners from being leveraged in livetv (I
believe by setting them to 0 in live tv order in mythsetup, but could
be wrong) - or -
3) Don't use 0.26 (until(if) the issue is fixed)

See the following bug reports:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11229
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11211

Overall - support for these devices are not going away.  The devs have
not discussed deprecating or removing support for these devices at
all.