[mythtv-users] MythTV problems with 3.7.x and 3.8.x kernel

Richard peper03 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 15:58:16 UTC 2013

On 26/02/13 16:32, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Richard <peper03 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> You can search your frontend logs to see how a DVD (image) was opened. Grep
>> for "Opened DVD".  This string is output under 'General', so you should see
>> it without having to specify anything on the command line.
>>
>> If you use storage groups, you should see a "myth://" path (even on a
>> combined FE/BE), otherwise it should be a local path.
>>
>> I don't know, but I assume that storage group access will always be via the
>> network, even if it ends up on the same machine.  It may well get sent via
>> the loopback device, though.  I'm not clued up enough on networking magic to
>> do more than guess here, though.
>>
>> A local, physical drive should be accessed directly so I don't know why
>> playback from there should be effected by any network settings.
>>
>> Richard.

> Hmm...  You may be right on that....  I know .iso files use the
> myth:// path but now I'm wondering about physical DVDs.  If a physical
> DVD is mounted on a backend (even if it's remote) will it play on
> remote frontends via storage group?  If so then the loopback device
> issue may make sense.

I don't think a remote frontend can access a physical drive on a
backend, certainly not without some weird voodoo that isn't going to
happen by accident.  By that, I mean when you select 'Play a DVD or
Blu-ray' from the menu.  You could presumably point a storage group on a
backend to a mounted DVD but it would appear along with other
videos/images rather than playing directly from the menu.

> I've emailed the kernel patch developer and he's asked me to test a
> few things.  He's leaning towards this being an issue with MythTV as
> opposed the mtu size for the loopback.

In his position, I would probably say the same thing :)  I don't mean
that he's trying to get out of anything, just that it doesn't seem to
make much sense.  Particularly that it apparently *only* affects
playback of DVDs, even physical DVDs on the local machine.

Richard.