[mythtv-users] MythTV problems with 3.7.x and 3.8.x kernel

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:32:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Richard <peper03 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> You can search your frontend logs to see how a DVD (image) was opened. Grep
> for "Opened DVD".  This string is output under 'General', so you should see
> it without having to specify anything on the command line.
>
> If you use storage groups, you should see a "myth://" path (even on a
> combined FE/BE), otherwise it should be a local path.
>
> I don't know, but I assume that storage group access will always be via the
> network, even if it ends up on the same machine.  It may well get sent via
> the loopback device, though.  I'm not clued up enough on networking magic to
> do more than guess here, though.
>
> A local, physical drive should be accessed directly so I don't know why
> playback from there should be effected by any network settings.
>
> Richard.

Hmm...  You may be right on that....  I know .iso files use the
myth:// path but now I'm wondering about physical DVDs.  If a physical
DVD is mounted on a backend (even if it's remote) will it play on
remote frontends via storage group?  If so then the loopback device
issue may make sense.

I've emailed the kernel patch developer and he's asked me to test a
few things.  He's leaning towards this being an issue with MythTV as
opposed the mtu size for the loopback.

Neil