[mythtv-users] Mapping OTA channels to HDHomerun tuners

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 21 13:25:42 UTC 2013

On 02/21/2013 07:24 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 11:11 PM -0500 2/20/13, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> I think the misunderstanding here is what a "video source" actually
>> is. A video source is a list of channels. Every tuner tied to that
>> video source must be able to access every channel defined in that
>> video source. You will want to set up two video sources, one for
>> Toronto channels and one for Buffalo channels, and tie your four
>> tuners to which ever of those two sources is appropriate.
>
> Adding slightly to Raymond's response, you have to do a scan with each
> tuner to inform Myth as to the channels that it can receive.

More precisely, do a scan for each Video Source.  So, if you had 4
tuners total, with 2 pairs each using the same Video Source (for a total
of 2 Video Sources), you would only scan once for each Video Source
(using only one of the tuners).  Since every single input to which the
Video Source is connected can receive all of the channels in that Video
Source and every single input tunes them the exact same way, re-scanning
one Video Source with additional tuners would be redundant.

(Note, also, that a Video Source is a list of channels and their
associated tuning information, so if you have the exact same list of
channels for 2 inputs, but they are tuned differently--i.e. one tunes
directly using a digital ATSC tuner to receive OTA and another changes
the channel on a STB Digital Tuning Adapter to allow a PVR-150 to record
those same OTA channels--you'd need 2 Video Sources.  And in some
cases--such as the one just described--2 different Video Sources /can/
share a single listings source:  a single lineup on Schedules Direct.
So a Video Source is completely different from a listings source, though
each Video Source will generally have a listings source associated with
it.  This paragraph is just providing additional information--for the
OP's case, his requirements have already been discussed.)

Mike