[mythtv-users] Mapping OTA channels to HDHomerun tuners

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Feb 21 12:24:38 UTC 2013

At 11:11 PM -0500 2/20/13, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>I think the misunderstanding here is what a "video source" actually
>is. A video source is a list of channels. Every tuner tied to that
>video source must be able to access every channel defined in that
>video source. You will want to set up two video sources, one for
>Toronto channels and one for Buffalo channels, and tie your four
>tuners to which ever of those two sources is appropriate.

Adding slightly to Raymond's response, you have to do a scan with
each tuner to inform Myth as to the channels that it can receive.  I,
too, am in the GTA and I found that my UHF antenna picks up channels
from _both_ Toronto and Buffalo even though it is aimed at Toronto.
So you may find that your "Toronto" tuner is actually also receiving
Buffalo stations and vice versa.  If certain signals are somewhat
weak, you may want to delete those channels from that tuner.  (NBC
broadcasts from the furthest-south site and isn't reliable for me.)
OTOH, you may find that either antenna is perfectly capable of
receiving certain channels (PBS, for example).

And, just for interest, are you using the Myth package from MacPorts
[1] or the pre-compiled .app bundle?

Craig

[1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts