[mythtv-users] 0.26-fixes, --nodblog not working? I still see db log entries through mythweb

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 4 18:04:21 UTC 2013

On 02/04/2013 12:38 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 02/04/2013 10:30 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> I have mythbackend running with the --nodblog command, yet I'm still
>> seeing entries in the "Backend Logs" tab on Mythweb for date/times
>> after running the backend.
>>
>> Is there some specific location in the command line or something else
>> I may be missing on how to disable this?
>
> I can't find a "Backend Logs" tab in mythweb. Could you be using
> the "Backend Status" tab and have a "Miscellaneous Status Command"
> defined? Or are you using <backend>:6544 Information->View Logs?

FWIW, no one should be using the backend logs section of mythweb.  It's
fundamentally broken--and that brokenness is probably what's causing the
confusion here.  The only reason it's still in there is because I know
people will yell if I rip it out (even though it doesn't do the right
thing) without putting in a replacement and I haven't had time to put
the replacement together (nor even to rip it out until I do).

The fundamental brokenness is that they are not backend logs.  They are
any logging done by anything, and in the MythWeb module, they're
completely jumbled together and completely useless.  Therefore, Steve is
probably seeing logging from other applications.  You can use the
backend web server's Log Viewer if you really want to look at the
database logs, but it seems viewing them isn't the goal in this thread.

Also note that the DB logging should not be a problem for anyone running
with reasonable (read, default) logging enabled, so there should be no
reason to disable DB logging.  If it is causing a problem, you probably
have some serious systemic issues or you're using completely
inappropriate logging options (where anything but default verbosity
logging is only really appropriate for debugging--and users running
production systems should be using default verbosity/log level).

Note, too, that only users who used the old implementation of database
logging--the one that only put a few random entries from a few random
activities in the database--will see the Backend Logs tab in MythWeb.
An incorrect patch was submitted and committed that "fixed" MythWeb's
log viewer, but the whole MythWeb log viewer should have been ripped
out, instead.

Mike