[mythtv-users] Frontend Appliance, Maybe

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 19:52:00 UTC 2013

Hello All,
    There's been a number of posts about low power or small frontend
boxes. I thought I'd share some info on my current project and get some
feedback on the viability of it.

    Years ago I used 1st gen AppleTVs as MythTV Frontend boxes. They
were small, quiet, and reasonably cheap. They have a NVidia GPU that was
supported by XvMC. However, they could only handle up to 720p and there
was no support for HDMI audio. With XvMC being EOL'ed in Myth and more
and more 1080(i/p) content, I switched to NVidia ION based frontends. I
tried, unsuccessfully, to sell my ATV1s and they ended up on the parts
shelf.

      I recently I discovered that a lot of ATV1s were being re-purposed
as XMBC boxes by replacing the Mini-PCIe WiFi cards with a CrystalHD
cards. I prefer the MythTV frontend to XBMC(just a personal preference).
Since MythTV supports CrystalHD, I figured I give a whirl. I currently
have Ubuntu 12.04lts with MythTV 0.25.3 and NVidia 304 running on a
ATV1. MythTV is playing SD recordings fine with HDMI audio. I haven't
tackled LIRC yet, I'm just using a keyboard.

      I haven't ordered a CrystalHD card yet. How is MythTV's support
for CrystalHD? I've been googling and there's not too much info. It all
seems to relate to XBMC.

Thanks,
Ken