[mythtv-users] http_proxy environment variable causing a raft of problems

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 07:49:20 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 02:35 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>> But unsetting that environment variable is not really an acceptable
>> solution since there are aspects of mythfrontend's function that
>> requires Internet access and that's done through a proxy here.
>
> Perhaps you should set the appropriate environmental variables
> to bypass the proxy from your FE to your BE.  Typically this is
> done by using the no_proxy variable as:
>   export no_proxy="localhost,127.0.0.0/8,::1"
> (obviously adding in your BE host).

As shown in [1], no_proxy does not solve this problem.

[1]: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11873

> Btw, if you really need to use a proxy, I would recommend
> moving to a transparent proxy using network intercept
> technology at your gateway(s) rather than explicit proxies.

That is what I've done, but it causes the frontend's web traffic to
follow a very inefficient route through my home network (frontend -
gateway - backend-which-is-also-the-proxy-server - gateway - interweb).

My gateway box is CPU-limited. It can saturate my Internet link, but
only if it does not also have to do a lot of local routing.