[mythtv-users] 0.27 Mythmusic regressions?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sat Dec 7 18:15:13 UTC 2013

On 06/12/13 12:43, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 06/12/13 11:34, birchley giles wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Fedora 19 x86_64 with Mythtv 0.27 on a combined frontend /
>> backend. I'm using the rpmfusion repository to get mythtv (and
>> mythmusic)
>>
>> A longstanding and halting project has been to transfer my very large
>> music collection from cd, cassette and vinyl to mythmusic. I've
>> currently got about 6000 tracks transferred. In the past I've had
>> problems with the metadata producing unhelpful track information (a
>> particular problem with classical music where I prefer the composer to
>> be the artist, rather than the orchestra or conductor).
>>
>> The process of changing and adding metadata really seemed to be improved
>> in 0.26 and I was able to google images for artists and album covers,
>> but this feature seems to have regressed in 0.27 - I no longer get the
>> option to search the web for images and metadata. I also find that
>> disabling id3 tag reading does not work in 0.27, when this feature
>> worked in 0.26. Have these features been disabled or is it a particular
>> problem with the rpmfusion build?
>>
>> As data needs changing on a per track basis in the mythmusic, I've found
>> it easiest to directly hack the metadata using mysql, resulting in mysql
>> tables that are a bit of mess, and I have some odds and ends of files /
>> folders in the music library whose titles do not correspond to the
>> database entry. But it all works, just so long as I don't rescan my
>> library in it's entirety! So please don't suggest this as a
>> workaround ;)
>>
>> Many thanks for your answers,
>>
>> Giles
>
> I would like to add other queries about MythMusic, which I've never
> really understood - or perhaps I should say 'at all'.  I would like to
> use it as a straightforward player of Myth radio recordings which have
> been stripped to just the mp2 component.  I can play a selected
> recording from its start at variable speeds but I haven't found step
> forward or back keys, and several of the key bindings shown in
> frontend setup don't seem active.  This is 0.27-fixes/F18/rpmfusion
> too.  Sorry Paul, it's me again :-)
>
> John P

PageUp/PageDown are the default skip back/forward keys.

My guess is you have the focus on one of the button lists when you are
trying to skip which will page up/down in the list rather than skip
forward/back since key presses are context sensitive. The solution is to
move away from the button list or change the FFWD/RWND keybindings to
use some other keys or use the menu options (yes the later would be a
pain to use but the option is there).

It's on my todo list to add a popup dialog which would help with jumping
around in the track by various skip amounts (similar to how jumping
around in the recording editor) as well as adding bookmarks (useful for
audio books to mark chapters or mixtapes to jump to favourite tracks etc).

Paul H.