[mythtv-users] Hauppauge grey remote with homemade serial IR receiver in MythTV 0.26 and Fedora 19

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Aug 26 09:05:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 12:17:04 +1000, you wrote:

>depending on which version of the linux kernel you're running..
>getting LIRC to work is a hit and miss.
>
>I lost mine yesterday when I made the terrible mistake of plugging a
>USB to RS232 adapter to my PC. LIRC stopped working then (I use an
>happauge MCE adapter). Rebooted multiple times, remove since the RS232
>adapter so my PC is in an identical configuration as before...
>
>no luck... no more remote control for me (and no it's not the adapter
>it works on another machine)

That sounds like the IR device has moved to a different address due to
the new serial device being on a lower hardware address than your IR
receiver.  Try using udev to make a fixed device name out of the IR
receiver you are trying to use.  This is what I use in
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules to make sure my mother's Hauppauge
TD-500 remote is always on /dev/lirc0:

# Hauppauge Nova TD-500 remote control IR receiver
SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2040",
ATTRS{idProduct}=="8400", SYMLINK+="lirc0"

In my case, the idVendor and idProduct values from lsusb are all that
is needed to identify the IR receiver device:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 2040:8400 Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500

Then change your /etc/lirc/hardware.conf:

REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"