[mythtv-users] Hauppauge grey remote with homemade serial IR receiver in MythTV 0.26 and Fedora 19

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 02:17:04 UTC 2013

On 26 August 2013 04:54, Bob Shanteau <rmshant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed MythTV in Fedora 19 on a test box mostly following these
> instructions, except using RPM Fusion and the Software Install GUI instead
> of yum:
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora>
>
> Now I want to get my Hauppauge grey remote working with a homemade serial
> receiver, which are currently working in MythDora 12.23, but I have not been
> successful. I copied lircd.conf and .lircrc from the MythDora installation
> to /etc/lirc and ~, respectively, on the test box, but what now? (I've
> listed those files below my signature.)
>
> The documentation on the lirc.org page is not working right now, so I
> installed lirc-docs. Those instructions assume you are compiling LIRC from
> scratch, which I am not. According to this page, the LIRC modules are
> already in the kernel.
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC>

depending on which version of the linux kernel you're running..
getting LIRC to work is a hit and miss.

I lost mine yesterday when I made the terrible mistake of plugging a
USB to RS232 adapter to my PC. LIRC stopped working then (I use an
happauge MCE adapter). Rebooted multiple times, remove since the RS232
adapter so my PC is in an identical configuration as before...

no luck... no more remote control for me (and no it's not the adapter
it works on another machine)

LIRC is unfortunately one of those things that have changed every
single time there's been a linux kernel upgrade. Format changes,
behaviour changes.. It's impossible to keep up and every ubuntu
upgrade has been for me a major headache trying to make LIRC work
again. Everytime I waste hours trying to get it working again..

JY