[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup hangs on exit

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 14:05:51 UTC 2013

On 08/23/2013 09:26 PM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
> But when I (1) run mythtv-setup, (2) hit Enter in response to the prompt to stop the backend and (3) exit; mythtv-setup hangs, regardless of
> whether I run it from the GUI icon or the command line. That's true even if I try to stop the backend as described in the thread above. But if
> instead of hitting Enter to stop the backend I scroll down to Continue and hit Enter, mythtv-setup exits normally.

> [mythtv at localhost ~]$ sudo service mythbackend stop
>
> We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
> Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:
>
>      #1) Respect the privacy of others.
>      #2) Think before you type.
>      #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
>
> [sudo] password for mythtv:
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl stop  mythbackend.service

> 2013-08-23 18:17:09.613078 E  backendrestartmythbackend <---------------------
> 2013-08-23 18:17:09.613172 I  Locking input devices

Hi;

I'm not a Fedora user, but unless one answers, here's some ideas.

The 2nd to the last line of your mythtv-setup log is showing your
backend startup command is: mythbackend. I'd expect, from looking
at your earlier commands, that it should be more like:

     sudo service mythbackend start (or, perhaps)
     sudo /bin/systemctl start mythbackend.service

You might also verify that the backend shutdown command is
correct while your fixing it.

It also looks like: sudo service mythbackend stop ends up
running: /bin/systemctl stop mythbackend.service. I don't
think that's a problem, but you could just use the 2nd
command.

In both the backend start and stop cases, is the command being
run in the /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv (or a similar file?) If not,
then when the commands are being run, mythtv-setup would be
getting prompted for a password.

As configured now, when mythtv-setup exits it runs: mythbackend,
which isn't spun off, so mythtv-setup is patiently waiting for
the backend to exit and then it will.

--
Bill