[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 00:02:56 UTC 2013

>> What seems to be at issue is the definition of "enough grunt." Some
>
> I would no more suggest that someone purchase a 25cc scooter
> for a cross-country trip

Nice strawman.

> What one should have (and I dislike this in Windows, so I really
> hesitate to suggest it) is a MythTV "experience" index based
> on some agreed upon criteria which includes all the relevant
> functions (disk I/O, DB SQL functions, commercial flagging,
> HD decode, spatial/temporal de-interlacing, etc.) normalized to
> 1.0 for the recommended minimum configuration.

An experience index sounds good. Don't forget that the BE and FE have
different requirements; a BE requires no HD decode or de-interlacing
and the FE requires no commflagging. For that matter, not all users
care about commflagging, so that's not a pre-requisite for a 1.0 BE
either; that would be a 2.0 feature.

Many ARM systems already meet 1.0 for a BE with no sweat (one under my
desk right now), and the only thing holding us back on the FE is
software support for hardware acceleration. There's no question
something like a RPi can be used as a 1.0 media player; XBMC has been
doing it for some time now.

> I don't plan on adding tuners and hard drives to my phone either.
> A smartphone is a tool.  MythTV is a hobby, and as with all
> hobbies, they grow.

Disagree. My Myth box is an appliance. I don't mess with it; it sits
quietly and does it's job. How many threads have there been about "I
updated Ubuntu and now Myth is broke!"? The answer is, once it works,
don't touch it. I haven't felt the need to grow my system for several
years now. Don't see it growing any time soon.

>>> Now for something to do with ARM that would be very welcome,
>>> write an OpenMAX decoder
>>
>> If someone does, will you promise that if anyone asks if they should
>> get a Pi for a FE,  you will refrain from telling them it doesn't have
>> enough MHz or RAM, is too "limited", and isn't a "real" platform? Oh
>> and also no mention of "exandability"?
>
> No.  I will never respect an RPi as a frontend.

LOL. I suspected as much. :)

> That said, my own personal preference will always be to have enough CPU to do software decoding.

My own personal preference is to not waste money and resources on
excessively specc'ed hardware. I guess that is where we will always
disagree.