[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 23:34:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> What seems to be at issue is the definition of "enough grunt." Some
> would say Kirkwood ARM (for example, the SheevaPlug under my desk
> that's been happily running Myth for some years now) does have the
> grunt.  Others (whom I suspect have not even tried to run Myth on ARM)
> disagree, and have thus far not offered any empirical evidence to
> substantiate their claim.

I would no more suggest that someone purchase a 25cc scooter
for a cross-country trip from the right to the left coast of the US
across I-80 than I would recommend that someone purchase an
ARM system for MythTV.  Can you do it?  Probably (although
I suspect the Penn state troopers would pull you over for being
a menace to society before you got too far (the NJ troopers
would probably be glad you are leaving the state)).

I agree that the definition of "enough grunt" is the issue.  Some
are more than willing to wait 20 minutes to boot their 486
running Linux and start services while others are unhappy that
their Haswell I7 with 32GB and a SSD takes 3 seconds.

What one should have (and I dislike this in Windows, so I really
hesitate to suggest it) is a MythTV "experience" index based
on some agreed upon criteria which includes all the relevant
functions (disk I/O, DB SQL functions, commercial flagging,
HD decode, spatial/temporal de-interlacing, etc.) normalized to
1.0 for the recommended minimum configuration.  As all (known
shipping) ARM systems would be less than 1.0, people would
have their expectations set when they choose to go down that
path.  It would also shorten the assistance tree.

Gary