[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Quinten Steenhuis qsteenhuis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 20:10:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > * ArchLinux/ARM is the recommended distro for this device and only OS
>
> My personal preference is Slackware, and Slackware supports Kirkwood
> ARM, so I guess "it depends" on what you're used to.

Absolutely, I used Slackware briefly way back in the '90s so that would
probably also take me some time to relearn. But no matter what distro, if I
had used it before it would have been much faster. Arch was just one I'd
never used, I'm sure some folks love it. I probably should have just
installed Debian to begin with.

> So I had to learn how to run an X server on Windows just to test
>
> I just installed VNC Server (which contains the X stuff Myth needs) on
> my Sheeva. Then connect from a regular PC using VNC Viewer.

That's something I never thought of--that's a great approach and maybe one
I'll take if I pick this back up. I haven't really used VNC on Linux much
so I just gravitated towards X.

> > not at all
> > like my experience setting up MythTV on standard Intel hardware.
> > It
> > would be amazing if someone could build and document a simple
> > reference
> > system out of a widely-available piece of hardware like the Pi.
>
> They did, for the FE. They called it XBMC. XBMC is so ARM-friendly,
> they have a multiple Pi distros to choose from! Drop an image on an SD
> card and boot, it's really slick. (Unfortunately, the XBMC folks are
> as anti-timestrech as the Myth folks are anti-ARM, so I'm stuck in x86
> land for my own FE.)

Yep, I was planning to use Raspberry Pi/XBMC as the frontend but the
time-stretch limit was something I definitely considered as a drawback. I
have a feeling that if the interest in the Pi lasts long enough, that might
change. XBMC seems to be very actively developed with people willing to try
lots of new things and push limits of low-end devices.

As for a Myth BE, I already tried releasing PlugMyth, a MythTV
> distribution for Kirkwood ARM devices, some time ago. You can find the
> email chain in the archives. It did not receive a warm welcome. Which
> is funny, because whenever someone complains about Myth, the response
> is usually "it's open source, so fix it yourself". Well, I fixed it
> myself, and all I got for my effort was abuse.

That's a bummer, I think lots of folks could benefit from your experience
with this. I had seen your project in my research but didn't delve too deep
after seeing it was with Mythbackend .23. I'm sorry someone discouraged
you--an up to date version of your work would have made my experience
trying to hack the GoFlex much better.