[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 19:32:24 UTC 2013

> * ArchLinux/ARM is the recommended distro for this device and only OS

My personal preference is Slackware, and Slackware supports Kirkwood
ARM, so I guess "it depends" on what you're used to.

> I also am new to uboot so that was a bit intimidating.
> * I have limited soldering skills, but if I want console on this, I will
> need to solder on a serial cable.

Well using a GoFlex is what I'd call "hacking" in that the device
isn't intended to have a user-installable OS. The advantage to
something like a SheevaPlug is it comes with a nice open uBoot
designed to accomodate the installation of a new OS as well as a
built-in USB-serial interface, so no mucking about with "jailbreaking"
and burning the bootloader and soldering. Same for the
TrimSlice/Utilite, Wandboard, etc.

> * MythBackend requires X (as far as I can tell any way--correct me if I'm
> wrong,

As a background service, it shouldn't require X, but it does. I think
there were plans to eliminate the X requirement in 0.27 or something,
dunno if that change went in or not.

> So I had to learn how to run an X server on Windows just to test

I just installed VNC Server (which contains the X stuff Myth needs) on
my Sheeva. Then connect from a regular PC using VNC Viewer.

> not at all
> like my experience setting up MythTV on standard Intel hardware.
> It
> would be amazing if someone could build and document a simple
> reference
> system out of a widely-available piece of hardware like the Pi.

They did, for the FE. They called it XBMC. XBMC is so ARM-friendly,
they have a multiple Pi distros to choose from! Drop an image on an SD
card and boot, it's really slick. (Unfortunately, the XBMC folks are
as anti-timestrech as the Myth folks are anti-ARM, so I'm stuck in x86
land for my own FE.)

As for a Myth BE, I already tried releasing PlugMyth, a MythTV
distribution for Kirkwood ARM devices, some time ago. You can find the
email chain in the archives. It did not receive a warm welcome. Which
is funny, because whenever someone complains about Myth, the response
is usually "it's open source, so fix it yourself". Well, I fixed it
myself, and all I got for my effort was abuse.