[mythtv-users] Launch of new FoxSports1 and FoxSports2 networks

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 15 14:01:42 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 09:42 AM, Aaron Klein wrote:
> With the launch of FoxSports 1+2 on Saturday I am wondering if thre
> are any steps I need to take with Schedules Direct or my myth setup to
> pickup that change.
> FoxSprorts 1 will basicly be the Speed channel rebranded and
> FoxSports2 will be the FUEL channel rebranded of which I get both
> now.  I have listings for both channels beyond Saturday but the
> listing do not look accurate.  In most cases they appear to be reruns
> of their channel specific programming vs showing listings for
> acutal upcomming sport events.
> I have checked schedules direct as of a few days ago and there wasnt a
> choice to add those channels to the listing download.
> Im wondering if I just need to run a mythfilldatabase command saturday
> morning to pickup the new changes.
> What have others seen when networks are rebranded/changed.

It will depend on how TMS handles it.  If they leave the channel (XMLTV,
in our terms) ID the same for the channel, you won't have to do
anything--though you /can/ use the channel editor to change the
channel's name, call sign, icon, and (if appropriate/desired) number.
Note, though, that changing the channel's call sign will break any rules
you have set up that use the "this channel" filter (as the old channel
will no longer exist).  So, if you have any rules that use the "this
channel" filter, you can either change them to remove the filter or
update the channel on them (by deleting the rule and creating a new one
or by changing the rule to remove the filter, then selecting one of the
episodes on the desired channel and editing the rule to add the filter).

If TMS changes the channel ID, you'll need to use the channel editor to
change the channel's XMLTV ID to match the new ID from TMS, then run:

mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all

to clear out all the old listings and bring in the new listings for the
new channel.

Please do not do anything with any of mythfilldatabase's --update,
--only-update-channels, --do-channel-updates, --remove-new-channels, and
--do-not-filter-new-channels arguments.  Since the channel is just
changing some of its metadata, you should update the already-existing,
working channel, rather than trying to get mythfilldatabase to remove
old channels and insert new channels--which, by the way, can't possibly
work if you have scannable channels (i.e. if you're using anything other
than an external tuner).  Instead, use the channel editor to update the
channel.

Mike