[mythtv-users] UK Freeview with HD: terrestrial versus satellite

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Aug 5 21:38:33 UTC 2013

On 05/08/2013 20:11, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for some guidance from UK users as to whether
> terrestrial or satellite has greater reliability.
>
> At the moment, I'm receiving a terrestrial signal. I have two SD USB
> tuners, and one HD USB tuner. If I scan, I get the same channels on
> multiple multiplexers, and it isn't clear to me how Myth chooses which
> mux to use for recording. Some don't seem to work so well, so I get zero
> byte recordings. I'm trying - slowly - to establish which channels on which
> muxes result in these problems so that I can remove them.
>
> I'm wondering if satellite may be more reliable. I'd be interested in
> hearing the experiences of UK users who use, or have used, both
> terrestrial and satellite.

I have both. They work fine. If I didn't already have both and I were
to choose just one, it would be freeview, because all the HD channels
are on one multiplex, so you need just one tuner to be able to record
all four HD channels simultaneously. That and your two SD tuners is
all you'll need.

Cheers,
Paul.