[mythtv-users] Lirc transmitters on kernel 3.8.x

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Thu Aug 1 13:44:08 UTC 2013

> Message: 21
> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 20:30:25 +1000
> From: Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> To: "stephen at jsw.gen.nz" <stephen at jsw.gen.nz>,  Discussion about MythTV
>         <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Lirc transmitters on kernel 3.8.x
>
> On 1 August 2013 19:10, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> I am currently running Mythbuntu 12.04 on 3.2.0 kernel and the big
>> change where the lirc drivers moved into the kernel was well before
>> that.  The changes (big ones) were in how the all my IR remotes worked
>> - I had to do completely new configurations for them, and it took ages
>> to get them exactly right again.  But my mceusb IR transmitter worked
>> with virtually the same lirc config.  I only have one IR transmitter
>> though, so I have no idea how running two affects things.
>
> My LIRC remote configuration worked exactly as before. I had
> absolutely nothing to change there. Using an happauge MCE
> remote/receiver
>
> However, it just stopped working and it took me forever to get irw
> show me something, until suddenly it worked and it worked with the
> original configuration. Never really understood why...

LIRC was fine for me through kernel 3.7.x, but has been having major
issues since I upgraded to 13.04/3.8.x.  It seems the LIRC code hasn't
been updated in awhile, and a certain function call was removed in
3.8.x, causing startup, shutdown, and functionality problems.  See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1196389 , for
example.

Josh