[mythtv-users] problems recording ABC in SF bay area

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 16:53:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Marco Nelissen
<marco.nelissen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM, John Lundell <jdlundell at gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
>
>> Yes, I have been having problems with KGO as well.  They are on their
>> original VHF channel 7 which is problematic with my UHF antenna but it use
>> to be fairly solid.  They also were retransmitting on channel 35 in the
>> south bay but that transmitter now seems to go on and off.  You may check
>> to see if you are using channel 35 (599MHz) and if so move to channel 7
>> (177MHz).
>>

> Interesting. Is there a way to check which channel/frequency a given
> recording actually came from? Mythtv doesn't seem to show the actual
> channel number or frequency anywhere, only displaying the channel name.
> In schedulesdirect, I've enabled KGODT, and disabled KGOLD, which
> according to
> http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-52235.html are on
> channel 7 and 35 respectively. Also, my antenna is pointed at Sutro, so I
> don't think it could even pick up channel 35. On the other hand, just now
> this problem happened again as I was watching near-live TV. I switched to
> the TV directly, and verified that the TV itself did it too. The TV seemed
> to think ABC was on channel 35 though, and showed a signal strength jumping
> erratically between 0 and 71. Would mythtv ever pick channel 35 even though
> it's not enabled in the channel lineup?
>
> Yes. Disabling the channel in SchedulesDirect does not remove it from your
local mythtv installation. You have to manually remove (or set invisible)
the channel either in mythweb or via mythtv-setup (I think). Mythweb is the
easiest, but might require some server and/or php setting tweaks if you
have a lot of channels. Disabling the channel in SchedulesDirect is a good
move, though, because otherwise mythtv might re-add the channel after you
delete it in your local install.

Karl