[mythtv-users] zbox as a frontend: ID41 vs ID80

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 19:00:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Do you have first-hand experience of this with an ION2 based system
> or are you extrapolating from experiences with the ION1?

An ION2 is (essentially) a GT210, which according to qvdpautest(*)
can only do 55 frames/sec for "Advanced 2X"; your driver will
vary, and some different drivers have shown a lower number,
close to 44 as I recall.  55 might be close enough for 50Hz
countries, but not good enough for 60Hz countries (note that
having so little headroom may result in occasional glitches).

To another point, an individuals tolerance to jitter/stutter/judder
varies.  Some never see what others cannot tolerate.  Since
this is such an individual perception (subjective) issue, it is
not possible to rate/rank it in any meaningful way.  And
some TV's have their own deinterlacer (of which its quality
will also vary) should you be sending the interlaced signal
to a TV for processing.

And, as countries vary, it is always desirable to state
what country you are in so one can at least compare
a 60Hz and a 50Hz response.

Gary

(*) Yes, qvdpautest is not the best tool, but it does tend
to have some correlation with observed artifacts.