[mythtv-users] ProjectX 0.90.4 doesn't support the -set option

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Oct 23 14:04:33 UTC 2012

On 23/10/12 14:16, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 10/22/12 5:52 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
>> On 10/22/12 5:40 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>>
>>> Despite all that - if you have a good patch, go ahead :-)
>>
>> I may give it a shot when I get some downtime.
>

> Sadly (?) I'm going to have to punt on this whole MythTV/Mythbuntu
> upgrade experience.   Yes, I had to tweak mythburn.py to get it working,
> but I sort of expected that.  But the real dealbreaker is the occasional
> "NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or
> interrupt context" and associated Xorg hang that I'd experience.  IOW, I
> went from a system that worked fine to one that's unstable.
>
> Googling the above phrase gives me a number of discussions where people
> are exchanging boot kernel flags or other tweaks that maybe sorta help
> the problem.   And people sharing stories of how they've been able to
> achieve uptimes of a day or so.
>
> I tried a couple of different nvidia driver versions as well as boot
> flags, but none seemed to come together to produce a stable system.
> Getting a solid nvidia driver version was a bit of a pain when I first
> set up the HD-capable Mythtv system 2 years ago, but the apparent fact
> that nvidia driver stability/reliability hasn't seemingly improved since
> then is completely ridiculous, IMO.
>
> While MythTV itself seems to be fine after the upgrade, if the nvidia
> drivers aren't stable, then I consider it a failure.  Would upgrading
> the system to Mythbuntu 12.10 (and subsequently kernel 3.5) address the
> problem?    Maybe?   Is there some combination of kernel / drivers /
> options that gives stability?  Possibly?
>
> That's too much uncertainty * time-spent, with the possible outcome of
> having something that works as well as what I had before.  I've passed
> the threshold of restoring from backup being the best way "forward."
>
> Sorry for the rant, but I just had to vent a bit.
> If somebody can definitively say that it's a known bug that is proven to
> be fixed in kernel/driver version foo, then I may revisit the whole
> upgrade experiment again.  But for now, I'm back to the theme that I
> should have stuck with from the start:
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
>

> -WD

Hi Will:  I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience with the
'upgrade', but it doesn't sound as if it's related to the title of the
post; more an nvidia problem.  Would you like to give more model/driver
details?

FWIW I'm rarely using my HD recording capability, and can only display
it (at normal speed) through my TV's uPNP facility.  The extra crispness
is there and it's good to have it on tap but I can live without it
day-to-day.  Others clearly feel differently.

John