[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime questions

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Oct 19 01:14:17 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-18 8:11 PM, James Orr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about adding an HDHR Prime to my system.  My current setup is a regular HDHR and a HD-PVR.  I have a few questions.
>
> If I keep my existing HDHR on the network, I would need a 4 way splitter instead of the 3-way currently there (2 for the HDHR, 1 for the cable modem).  Any problems associated with that?  Anything I need to be aware of?

You should always be concerned every time you split your cable connection.

While 3db in a perfect split equates to 1/2 the RF power now reaching the destination, more realistic is 3.5db loss per split.

Thus, a single input to 4 output splitter could result in a 7dB drop of RF power being delivered to the end device.

If you start getting weird behavior with an end device, this could be why.

Probable? no.
Possible? yes.

Always be on the lookout.

  -Ben