[mythtv-users] MythTV for Android Update

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Oct 6 20:17:10 UTC 2012

Daniel,

Thanks for the announcement, but I wanted to clarify a few things just
in case anyone was wondering.

* On Sat Oct 06, 2012 at 02:57:00PM -0400, Daniel Frey wrote:
> 1.  In compliance with the core MythTV development team, we have changed
> the name of the application to MythTV Android Frontend

Regarding the name change, this was requested mainly to reflect the fact
that the Android frontend is not 'MythTV' compiled on an Android, it is
actually a written-from-scratch MythTV frontend.  There is a distinction
in the two, just in case we ever actually release parts of MythTV compiled
on Android.

> 2. The code repository has changed locations.  For those of you following
> the code and building it yourself, you can now find it at the URL listed
> below.  There is a new project on github.com to follow all available
> alternative frontends.  For instance, one is already started for the Roku
> platform.  The Android frontend has now joined that repository.  This
> repository is owned by the core MythTV development team.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythTV-Android-Frontend

The main reason for the hosting location change was due to the use of MythTV
in the name of the application.  If it had been called something else, we
(the MythTV developers) wouldn't mind where it the project was hosted at.

The MythTV developers are not laying claim to the code, the repos within the
MythTV-Clients github organization continue to be owned and managed by the
developers working on that code.  MythTV-Clients is just a location for
clients that can officially use the MythTV name in their name.  If anyone
wants to make a frontend/client and name it something without MythTV in the
name, they can host it anywhere they choose.

The MythRokuPlayer guys have been asked about moving into MythTV-Clients,
and this may move over eventually or possibly be a fork of their code
with minor tweaks to allow the app to work with MythTV out of the box
without having to install MythWeb or the mythroku PHP scripts.  We're
still discussing ideas.

> Thank you all for your continued support.
>
> Dan and the MythTV Android Frontend Development Team.

Thank you guys for your work on the Android app, it's something that a lot
of us have been wanting, but couldn't fit it into our TODO lists or
schedules. :)

--
Chris Pinkham