[mythtv-users] backend on multiple networks

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Sat May 19 14:26:34 UTC 2012

When I configure the backend in mythtv-setup, I need to configure an IP
address, and it uses that to determine which interface to bind to when
opening the ports.  From a security standpoint, this is good, as you
don't want to accidentally put these ports out where anyone on the
Internet can connect to your backend.  However, I don't see how to tell
it to bind to multiple devices.

In my setup, I would much rather have it listen on all networks and rely
on iptables to block the untrusted ones.  I have a separate wired lan
and (secure) wireless network.  I also create ssh tunnel tun devices
when I connect in remotely (probably not good enough for watching TV,
but I can show off the interface.).  So some network devices might not
even exist when myth start.

Another option would be some sort of iptables masquerading to intercept
connections from other networks on these ports and make them look like
local connections, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I've tried leaving the IP address blank and using 0.0.0.0, and neither
worked.