[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath (was: mythbackend won't start during bootup on fc16)

Stephan Seitz stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net
Thu May 17 18:06:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:22:23AM -0500, Bill Meek wrote:
># See: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logging for other options/details.
># Uncomment the next line for 0.24 and below:
># ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
># Uncomment the next line for 0.25 and above:
># ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --logpath /var/log/mythtv

I’m really wondering who thought the change from logfile to logpath was
a good idea. While you now have logfiles according to the name of process
(e.g. mythbackend or mythpreviewgen), the names contain „cryptic” things
like PID and date. How can you now configure any logrotation program to
rotate the right logfiles?

I switched to syslog logging with local6 (local7 was used by aiccu), but
this is harder for every distribution to preconfigure for their user.
I think, all logfiles should simply be named <process>.log, so you can
point logrotate to rotate everything with *.log.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse at fsing.rootsland.net |