[mythtv-users] --logfile vs. --logpath

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu May 17 19:08:54 UTC 2012

On 5/17/2012 14:06, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> I’m really wondering who thought the change from logfile to logpath was
> a good idea. While you now have logfiles according to the name of
> process (e.g. mythbackend or mythpreviewgen), the names contain
> „cryptic” things like PID and date. How can you now configure any
> logrotation program to rotate the right logfiles?

Wildcards and manual postrotate definitions.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logrotate_-_mythfrontend
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logrotate_-_mythbackend

The separation of the logs is an attempt to clarify things. Separate
logs for separate instances means when we ask for logs of an event, it's
not going to get interspersed with logs of half a dozen other preview
generation or commercial detection jobs.

Of course where's the fun in log rotation when your filesystem does live
compression?

#ls -l /var/log/mythtv | awk '{ SUM += $5 } END { print SUM/1024/1024"M" }'
67.0284M
#du -hd1 /var/log/mythtv
4.8M    /var/log/mythtv