[mythtv-users] Delays Watch-Recordings-Screen

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Fri Mar 30 23:02:54 UTC 2012

On 31/03/2012 1:50 AM, Stefan Brackertz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as mentioned here before (see
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/508788) there are
> issues with 0.25 taking much time to show the Wath-Recordings-Screen
> or to change the group filter:
>
> 1. As all possible strings are created in the beginning start up takes
> a lot of time on slow machines. A path for lazy string creation is
> being developed, see http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10161
>
> 2. On some machines (even on fast ones) the creation of each strings
> takes very much time.
>
> Regarding the second issue there are some observations that changing
> the displayed Date-Time-Format could help.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/508860#508860
> There are also some ideas that slow implementations of QDateTime are
> to blame
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/508829#508829
>
> On my system (Core i3, Xubuntu 11.10) I found the following behaviour:
> - Showing the Wath-Recordings-Screen or changing the group filter is
> extremly slow directly after starting mythfrontend (second issue)
> - Then I go to "Konfiguration->Erscheinungsbild" (probably
> configuration->appearence on englisch systems). Then save. It doesn't
> matter if anything is changed or not.
> - Then the theme gets reloaded (screen is flickering for less than a
> second and cursor jumps)
> - Now the Watch-Recordings-Screen is fast and stays fast until the
> frontend is quit.
> - If I restart the frontend it is slow again.
>
> So the timeformat doesn't seem to matter at all. But the reload of the
> theme seems to do some initialization which speeds up the string
> creation. Therefore it seems to be a mythtv-Bug.
>
> Can anybody verify this behaviour?
> I'd like to file a bug report.
>
> Stefan

On myP4 3.0Ghz, 1GB and 2GB RAM Ubuntu 10.04 frontends I do not see any
delays in loading the watch recording screens.  I have 1300+ recordings,
and the screen normally loads within 2 secs, occasionally when the BE is
under stress, it will take around 5 secs to load the watch recording
screens.

MBE is P4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram, Ubuntu 10.04 Server.  All systems currently
running 2:0.25.0~master.20120329.9e53c8d-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1

Michael