[mythtv-users] Delays Watch-Recordings-Screen

Stefan Brackertz t.brackertz at gmx.net
Fri Mar 30 14:50:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

as mentioned here before (see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/508788) there are
issues with 0.25 taking much time to show the Wath-Recordings-Screen or to
change the group filter:

1. As all possible strings are created in the beginning start up takes a
lot of time on slow machines. A path for lazy string creation is being
developed, see http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10161

2. On some machines (even on fast ones) the creation of each strings takes
very much time.

Regarding the second issue there are some observations that changing the
displayed Date-Time-Format could help.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/508860#508860
There are also some ideas that slow implementations of QDateTime are to
blame
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/508829#508829

On my system (Core i3, Xubuntu 11.10) I found the following behaviour:
- Showing the Wath-Recordings-Screen or changing the group filter is
extremly slow directly after starting mythfrontend (second issue)
- Then I go to "Konfiguration->Erscheinungsbild" (probably
configuration->appearence on englisch systems). Then save. It doesn't
matter if anything is changed or not.
- Then the theme gets reloaded (screen is flickering for less than a
second and cursor jumps)
- Now the Watch-Recordings-Screen is fast and stays fast until the
frontend is quit.
- If I restart the frontend it is slow again.

So the timeformat doesn't seem to matter at all. But the reload of the
theme seems to do some initialization which speeds up the string creation.
Therefore it seems to be a mythtv-Bug.

Can anybody verify this behaviour?
I'd like to file a bug report.

Stefan