[mythtv-users] stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Mar 27 23:48:07 UTC 2012

On 12-03-27 07:36 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> I would still try to find if the AMD processor frequency is crippled
> like it is by default in most distribution.

But how can it be if there are no knobs to control cpu frequency
scaling.  A.k.a. probably this processor doesn't even support scaling.

> The CPU frequency is supposed to go higher when it needs to, problem
> is that VDPAU doesn't make it so...
>
> So I'd be lookking there if I were you

I've followed these instructions:
http://www.pantz.org/software/cpufreq/usingcpufreqonlinux.html and I
still have no sign of scalable frequency.  But I still believe this to
be a red herring.  The wiki page you pointed me at says:

Some AMD processors reduce the bus speed along with the CPU clock, at
the lowest scaling level this may be enough to cause VDPAU problems in
transferring data fast enough across the bus.

So if this were my problem wouldn't I be seeing this even more with the
bigger frame-size, higher bandwidth (more than 2x this h264 recording)
MPEG2 recordings that I can play with no problems at all?

b.