[mythtv-users] 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri Mar 23 15:25:36 UTC 2012

At 12:57 AM -0400 3/23/12, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>On 03/22/2012 08:18 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>  At 10:46 AM +1100 3/23/12, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>  >> On Thursday, 22 March 2012, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>  >> [...]
>  >> The mac bundles do not include the python bindings...
>
>Right.  It seems that someone with OS X will need to figure out how to
>make the Python bindings (and the metadata grabber scripts) work on Mac
>OS X and provide a patch.  Until then, they aren't installed.
>
>So, the answer to the question of why the Movie and TV grabbers show
>nothing is because without the Python bindings the scripts don't work.
>So, when the setup screen attempts to run the -v "checks" for the
>scripts, they fail, so there are no scripts to list for the Movie and TV
>media.  The one Game media grabber happens to be a Perl script that
>doesn't use the bindings, so it's not reliant on the bindings, which is
>why it shows up.
>
>[...]
>
>As I understand it, configure is telling you that the python bindings
>"will be built", but because no one has figured out how to install them
>on Mac OS X in the bundle or whatever, they aren't actually installed.

In addition to metadata lookup being broken, this also means that
mytharchive can't work on the Mac either, right?

 From some quick messing around, it seemed that the hardware profile
function didn't work either but I don't see where it is referencing
the python bindings.

So, we need to find someone knowledgeable about Python on OS X to
show us how to install the MythTV Python bindings so that the apps
can use them. (I'm not that person.)  Looking at my build, there is a
directory full of stuff that seems to be bindings:

>$ cat
>/Users/mythbuild/myth25/.osx-packager/build-fixQTspam/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV-0.24.0-py2.6.egg-info
>Metadata-Version: 1.1
>Name: MythTV
>Version: 0.24.0 **
>Author: UNKNOWN
>Author-email: UNKNOWN
>License: UNKNOWN
>MythTV database, mythproto, mythxml, and frontend remote control.
>Platform: UNKNOWN
>Requires: MySQLdb
>Requires: lxml

C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand?  ;)

Craig
** It isn't just a 0.24 <> 0.25 version problem?  No, didn't think so.