[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Mar 21 16:14:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:44:10AM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
> >>     However scrolling down is a lot simpler. If there is a "page down"
> >> key then you end up with something that is simpler as well as faster.
> >>

> > What makes you think there is no page down key? All buttonlists in
> > MythUI accept the global PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN keybindings the ones in
> > MythMusic are no exception.
>
> there is a page up/down, it still takes me multiple minutes to scroll
> through my entire artists list.

   Nonsense. It should not take nearly so long. The old interface didn't.

   That was without employing a page down button.

> >>     "if you have a keyboard" is kind of an admission of failure here.
> >
> > OK so educate me tell me how it should work? Keep in mind I can do the
> > test case of jumping from ABBA to Meatloaf on my system takes 4 key
> > presses with a keyboard attached and 26 using the remote and the virtual

    If you're making the user attach a keyboard then you're doing it wrong.

    While going in two straight lines does involve more "clicks", it requires
less skill and less attention to execute. It's a lot easier without making the
user deal with a keyboard (real or virtual)

> > keyboard using the menu to start the search rather than the keybinding.
> > See that as a friendly challenge to come up with a more remote friendly
> > solution that also works well if you have a keyboard attached :)
>
> It's funny, last year when there was a lot of talk about re-imagining
> MythMusic this was a big issue, how to give as much, if not more,
> functionality while still only using the basic MythTV buttons. There
> was a general consensus that there were many ways to improve
> functionality and lower total button use with a few UI features.

   Using the keyboard should be a last resort.

   An interface that unavoidably complex should be able to work in tandem
with one that isn't like advanced keyword search or the web based queue
management in Netflix. That way the TV interface can remain simple and
family friendly.

[deletia]