[mythtv-users] CEC, HDMI and Pulse Eight USB-CEC Adapters - VGA Video still?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 17 23:07:44 UTC 2012

These adapters are designed to fit in between the HDMI out of a Video
card and the HDMI in of a TV, with a third connection to the mythtv USB
Bus.  That is:

[Video Card HDMI] <HDMI Cable A> [Adapter] <HDMI Cable B> [HDMI TV and
HDMI Chain] and also
[Adapter] <USB Cable> [Mythtv Frontend]

It is an attractive assumption that Cable A is required, however
thinking about this I am not so sure now. It seems to me that one may
still be able to use a VGA cable to the display / TV, for the CEC
purposes one merely needs a connection into the CEC HDMI chain which
cable B provides.  There is no (or was) no CEC connection in the NVIDIA
cards, so it seems there is no obligation to have the video feed from
HDMI which might be an intuitive assumption.

One possible issue is that if the TV source is set to VGA then the HDMI
bus maybe be ignored, at least for control of the TV, I am not sure and
testing may be required when my kit is up to it.

Can anyone confirm this to be the case?