[mythtv-users] No video playback in mythtv 0.23/Mythbuntu 10.04 plus sub menus not working after upgrade from 0.20 and Mythbuntu 8.04

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 02:58:25 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 08:53 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 13 March 2012 23:08, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>> I recently upgraded from Mythbuntu 8.04 with mythtv 0.20 to Mythbuntu
10.04
>> and Mythtv 0.23. Now when I try to play movie from inside Mythtv I only
get
>> a black screen with number 1 in the center and voice only but no video.
All
>> is fine when I play the movie with Mplayer outside Mythtv. I have tried
with
>> Mplayer and internal player too but no video in both cases.
>> Another issue is that I can't access some sub menus from the main theme
>> menu, like anything under Advance or Appearance etc.I tried couple of
themes
>> with same outcome and can't do much else since changing the themes or
>> settings is impossible from the main menu.
>> Any idea what might be the problem? I have ATI HD3200 integrated graphics
>> card, if that is of any importance, and latest ATI Catalist proprietary
>> driver installed with OpenGL and direct rendering enabled.
> Try changing the TV Playback profile in the Setup..
>
> But as you get the same with mplayer, I wouldn't hope for much.
>
> ATI drivers sucks big time still...
>
> I haven't managed to get any proper playback on my ATI 6970 (iMac
> running ubuntu 11.10)
> it either hangs (ATI catalyst drivers) or faces are blue (opensource
drivers)

>Yeah, you're probably using CPU+ Playback Profile Group (or, possibly
>CPU++ or CPU--, but I'm guessing CPU+).  Those don't work with modern
>video card drivers (since no one really supports XvMC, anymore), so you
>need to change.  With ATI video card, you'll want Slim.
>
>Mike

>Ok the video playback is working now. Since I couldn't access the setup I
had to change the >settings in the database. I set the ThemePainter back to
qt from opengl, I changed the >DefaultVideoPlaybackProfile from "High
Quality" to "Slim", and switched off UseOpenGLVsync. >Sadly trying to play
a recording turns mythtv into defunct process and only system restart helps
:( >Such a shame, can't believe that the "ancient" mythtv 0.20 on mythbuntu
8.04 worked much better >than this one. Well, looks like I'll have to
recover from backup and live with the old version.

Wanted to mention that trying to watch live tv causes the same problem.
Just wonder if there is anything I can do to solve this by changing
something in the recording or tv profile settings? Any specific settings
for mplayer or vlc maybe?