[mythtv-users] Using two EPG sources - XMLTV for TV and EIT for radio on DVB

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 8 19:02:05 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012 05:46 AM, Joe Nyland wrote:
> On 07 Mar, 2012,at 11:37 PM, "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
>> If radio and TV channels use the same tuner (are connected to the same
>> input), you will need a single MythTV video source. EIT can be disabled
>> on a video source as a whole, or on individual channels within a video
>> source. You'll want the latter approach, so that you can configure some
>> channels (TV channels) with an XMLTV ID and with EIT disabled, and other
>> channels (radio channels) with no XMLTV ID and with EIT enabled.
>>
>> You can use MythTV's "Channel Groups" to limit which ones are visible to
>> you in the EPG or when browsing channels in Live TV.
>

> Ok, that makes a lot more sense - thank you very much!
>
> However, I have 'useonairguide' checked for all of my channels (this
> must be a default setting, as I haven't set it myself).

Yes, the setting:

Use on air guide
If enabled, guide information for this channel will be updated using
'Over-the-Air' program listings.

in mythtv-setup's Channel Editor is enabled by default so that users
don't have to check that box on hundreds of channels if they want to use
EIT.

> I haven't scanned the actual radio channels in, but there are a number
> of TV channels, for which I haven't set an XMLTV ID for which show up
> as 'NO DATA' in my EPG. Furthermore, I haven't seen my HDHR3 doing
> anything when MythTV is not in use, indicating that MythTV is not
> performing an EIT crawl(?) in the background (which I believe it would
> be doing permanently?).

You probably just need to disable the above setting for all channels for
which you're using XMLTV, then re-enable the setting:

Perform EIT scan
If enabled, program guide data for channels on this source will be
updated with data provided by the channels themselves 'Over-the-Air'.

on your video source in mythtv-setup.  (Thus the above, "EIT can be
disabled on a video source as a whole, or on individual channels within
a video source." :)

You likely disabled this checkbox when you did initial configuration
because you decided you were going to use XMLTV instead of EIT.  That is
exactly how users should disable EIT for all channels on the video
source without having to uncheck the "Use on air guide" setting on
hundreds of channels if they don't want to use EIT.

Mike