[mythtv-users] Silent slave backend

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Mar 5 22:03:48 UTC 2012

On 3/5/2012 15:31, Andre wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2012, at 20:20, Karl Dietz wrote:

>>> ... it's purely  a physical location issue, ...
>> Have you considered an EyeTV Netstream Sat + Sat Free? (€160 + €80)
>> I don't know if they would even be supported, but as there is no
>> HD Homerun DVB-S2 it was the only network attached tuner I found.
> A friend has a couple of them and I was intrigued when I first saw them, seems like there is no Linux support though, he uses them with a Mac mini. I believe they have a fairly simple network interface and stream UDP when prodded into life so maybe it wouldn't be too hard to work out how to drive them. I'll see if I can get a chance to tinker with one sometime soon.
>
> A DVBS2 HD Homerun would be ideal, does seem an obvious hole in Silicon Dust's range, SD are you listening?

Some guy come into the IRC channel a couple months back wanting to
implement a slave backend on a NessieDVB.  It's a little ARM box with a
pair of DVB-S/S2 tuners.  Running a native backend was advised against
due to all the extra crap that would need to be stuffed into a bit of
flash and 128MB of memory, but it already has support for the Linux
'vtuner' driver, allowing any Linux machine on the network to access it
natively through the DVB API.