[mythtv-users] Silent slave backend

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 20:31:53 UTC 2012

On 5 Mar 2012, at 20:20, Karl Dietz wrote:

> On 05.03.2012 17:09, Andre wrote:
>>>
>>> There are only two reasons to use a slave backend, you're simply out of
>>> expansion capacity in your master backend, or a slave backend can be put
>>> in a location more convenient to the source.  ...
>>
>> ... it's purely  a physical location issue, ...
>
> Have you considered an EyeTV Netstream Sat + Sat Free? (€160 + €80)
> I don't know if they would even be supported, but as there is no
> HD Homerun DVB-S2 it was the only network attached tuner I found.

A friend has a couple of them and I was intrigued when I first saw them, seems like there is no Linux support though, he uses them with a Mac mini. I believe they have a fairly simple network interface and stream UDP when prodded into life so maybe it wouldn't be too hard to work out how to drive them. I'll see if I can get a chance to tinker with one sometime soon.

A DVBS2 HD Homerun would be ideal, does seem an obvious hole in Silicon Dust's range, SD are you listening?