[mythtv-users] Bad Recordings - Choppy - on .25

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at randomstring.org
Fri Mar 2 18:44:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:52:10PM -0500, Billy Macdonald wrote:
>    I've been troubleshooting some bad recording issues on .25 for the
> past few days and haven't been able to figure out the issue.  I have
> two HDHR & one HD Prime.  Seven total tuners.  Whenever I record more
> than one or two shows, the logs (with -v record) will output tons of
> the following messages.
>

> 2012-03-01 23:45:16.849449 W [7383/7464] HDHRStreamHandler
> dtvrecorder.cpp:1301 (ProcessAVTSPacket) - DTVRec(3): A/V PID 0x800
> discontinuity detected ((1+1)%16!=6)  0.03%
>
> And the recordings end up in horrible shape.   There doesn't seem to
> be any other mythtv activity around when the errors start/stop (they
> come in clumps it seems).
>
> So far, I've validated that the cable feed is good, that I can watch
> all the tuners fine through the HD config GUI, and that I can stream
> four at a time to my mythtv BE using VLC without a single hiccup.  But
> when I try to record in Myth, it falls apart.
>
> I was also seeing some similar issues on .24 before the upgrade, but
> not even close to the same extent.
>
> Any ideas to help figure this out would be great.   I just upgraded to
> Fedora 16 tonight hoping for some magical fix :)
>
> Also, CPU usage is extremely high recording from HDHR devices.  I'm
> recording four tunners and mythbackend is running at 193% (AMD
> Phenom(tm) II X4 960T Processor).

Three things come to mind:

- is your MySQL db on a different drive from recordings? It
  should be, if possible.

- are you having disk problems? Check dmesg

- is your ethernet switch or NIC in trouble? Check dmesg and
  run some bandwidth tests.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.